Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Glenn Beck’s Emotional 'Wordless' Monologue Hits Close to Home. (6/10/2013)







Published on Jun 10, 2013
“Glenn Beck, who has been doing radio since 1979, estimates that he has said roughly 89 million words on the air.
That's a lot of words.
The conservative entrepreneur recently learned that he has temporarily lost the ability that so many of us take for granted — the ability to speak. Doctors informed Beck that his vocal chords have been temporarily paralyzed. The effects will "come and go," but thankfully it is a repairable condition, he explained.
However, left with no choice but to remain uncharacteristically silent, Beck during his TV show on Monday wondered how many of the millions of words that he has said in the past actually contained real meaning, how many of those words were used to lift people up instead of tear them down.
Using only note cards and music, Beck delivered a moving and at times tearful monologue without speaking a single word. He reflected on the man he once was and the man he is now, which he says are two very different people.
‘If today was the last day you had a voice, what would you say?’ Beck asked….”

Excellent monologue by Glenn Beck and one that hits closer to home than I would like.
Progressives are making fun of Beck’s monologue (video above) but anyone who has experienced or know someone who has been treated for paralyzed vocal chord(s) gets it.
When faced with the fear of one losing one’s voice and whether it is you or a family member who is at risk of such a loss, these are the thoughts that run through one’s mind.  That is what makes Beck’s monologue so powerful.
Disclosure:  I lived through it.
My husband has multiple sclerosis as did his sister and his mother.
While Jim always had a very deep voice, three years ago, I noticed a change.  His voice began to get lower and lower and lower.  There were days when his voice was just above a whisper.  There were moments when he had coughing spasms and sounded like he was gasping for air.
I don’t mind admitting that all of the above scared the daylights out of me. 
You see, my best friend’s brother began to lose his voice but refused to seek out treatment.  By the time Junior made the move to be treated for his voice, it was too late.  Junior was diagnosed with what I believe to be throat cancer.  The result was the removal of his vocal chords.
With throat cancer always in the forefront of my mind, I asked Jim to go to the doctor but he refused.  Said refusal and stress that came with it lasted for three years. 
I even adjusted my cooking habits.  Jim was at times choking on his food and do you know that with all this, this man still refused to seek out medical treatment.
Investigating the symptoms on my own and playing doctor, I informed my husband that his vocal chords might be paralyzed.   Then I explained to him everything that I had learned after which I drafted my son, his wife and grandchildren to run intervention which is probably the only reason that Jim finally went to the doctor. 
After a battery of tests, my suspicions were confirmed.  Yes I was relieved that it was not throat cancer but the symptoms that came with his left vocal chord being paralyzed was scary and remained a concern.  What if the treatments did not work?  Okay and what if I was not home one day and Jim munching on a bag of potato chips, nachos or peanuts which he will not give up even if his life depends on it began to choke?
Lucky for him, God looks out for fools (I mean that in a nice way.)
Twice Jim received gel injections in his left vocal chord.  Still stubborn as a bull, Jim refused to go to rehabilitation which as I understand is a requirement. 
So here we are, one year later, luck always on this guy’s side, Jim is back to yelling at the grandchildren when they speed past him out of control, i.e., his voice is back to normal and for that, I thank God.
Knowing what Beck and his family are going through, I will say a prayer for them.
Finally, one learns to count one's blessing fast when faced with the threat of such a loss.

All posts cross-posted on PUMABydesign001's Blog